Deer Farmer

Go Back   Deer Farmer > Deer Farming Forum > Deer Farm Management

Deer Farm Management Farm Management Forum - business plans, marketing, record keeping, legal and accounting contracts, insurance, financing and other farm business topics


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old Sep 29th 2012, 11:39 AM   #1
 
  Sep 2012
  United States
In general, do most people in this industry make a living from deer farming or is it more of a hobby/supplemental income? I know very little about the business but own piece of recreational farm that I'd like to use to start generating some kind of income. Deer farming is intriguing to me & may be a good fit for my farm in KY. Any insight is appreciated!
BossBuck is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2012, 11:58 AM   #2
 clay's Avatar
 
  Jan 2010
  Kentucky

Cervid: Trace Country Whitetails
We have a farm in kyif we can be of any help give me a call 606-928-0338
clay is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2012, 03:07 PM   #3
 
  Apr 2009
  Fombell PA
Many in the business do both....but to answer your question with out a doubt .....there is a very small margin in this industry that are making a living out of it....Now there will probably be some that come on here and try to bash me for saying this....However, I was (you) not to long ago asking the same question and was sucked in..........trust.....me ........unless you have an unlimited amount of revenue to pour into it right from the start......and I mean unlimmeted!!.......major Six Figures!!.........you will not make any money for a long.....long.......long time......but as I said, people are making money and I don't want to be all negative......BUT.....as I said again,.... seriously......it is a buyers market right now....but only because everyone is looking to dump their deer......will it come back???......well, I guess if your a gambling man ..........we'll......I can't tell you your odds...except they are very Poor right now!!
ddwhitetails is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2012, 03:47 PM   #4
 South Alabama Whitetails's Avatar
 
  Jul 2009
  Deer Park, Alabama

Cervid: whitetails
I would have to agree that it is very few. Having said that you can make money if you are careful and honest with yourself about where you fit in the industry. Unless you have a pocket full of money to spend you are not a breeder, if you do have the resources and desire to be a breeder then buy the best pedigrees you can. If you are going to be raising shooters like most of us buy good deer and forget the pedigree. My hunters like horns not paper.

Also, after you get setup it is not likely to be a full time job. It just does not require that much time. Most of us, including me, spend more time watching the deer than working. It is just enjoyable.
South Alabama Whitetails is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2012, 05:44 PM   #5
 
  Apr 2009
  Clanton, Alabama
When someone ask me this question I am always honest and tall them don't spend more money then you can afford to lose... and don't take your savings and put in the deer (breeding) business. The deer business is a lot of fun good luck.



Joe Headley
Headley is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2012, 09:06 PM   #6
 
  May 2010
  Kinmundy Illinois
I would say for most it would be a hobby. A lot of money dose change hand's, though on my end it is way more going out than come's in. But I do think if a person can stick with it and get the right animal's for a good price you could do ok but it will take time. If you have a nice place for deer and think you would like to give it a try I would start small and have some fun with it. If you want an income from your land look into some old brood cow's this fall that have been in with a good black bull.
RLAwhitetails is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2012, 10:30 PM   #7
 
  Sep 2012
  United States
Thanks for those thoughts! These are very honest answers that I appreciate. Ideally, what does an beginning farmer's "herd" look like? How many animals total & how many are bucks/does? What are some of the top bloodlines in the industry and the cost associated w/ incorporating them into your farm (for example... What does a well bred buck/doe fawn cost)? I apologize for all the questions but I appreciate you guys being a reliable source of knowledge!
BossBuck is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2012, 04:19 AM   #8
 
  Jul 2010
  petersburg, Michigan
Financally isn't the only thing you will spend. The amount of your time these animals consume is overwhelming at times...Especially when you care about them! Some people treat it solely as a business and have employees or managers for their herd. But the vast majority don't. So don't plan any vacations! ;-) Research it THOROUGHLY and if you decide it's for you....Welcome & Good Luck!! We will all help you!!
stepheck is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2012, 05:01 AM   #9
 
  Apr 2009
  Fombell PA
Actually if your looking for an income from your farm I would crop farm.......as far as starting out Bossbuck the best thing you can do is go visits with as many deer farms as you can.....big and small and that will be more valuable than any info we can conjure up on here..........deer prices are all over the board right now........there are a lot of deer farmers selling out and their are good deals to be had.....as far as pricing it is hard to say. I guess it all depends on the deal you can find.....for good genetics you can spen anywhere from 1000 to 10,000 ........and that is the truth......then their are some out their pretty much giving their deer away as they are desperate to get out of the farming........right now feed prices are at their highest and deer prices are at their lowest....not a good combo.......plus they are throwing more regulations that we must follow that will also not only be very inconvenient but costly as well......I can't express enough that the best thing for you to do is visit farms! I love raising the Whitetails but our government is doing it's best to ruin that.......just my opinion.....
ddwhitetails is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2012, 05:13 AM   #10
 toddhoeffel's Avatar
 
  Oct 2011
  Columbia City, IN
It's such a wonderful full time hobby, but the feed prices and deer prices make it tough sometimes. I am fortunate enough that my animals produce very well, I have the same repeat customers, and they are keeping themselves paid for. I wish I could just raise them to raise them and keep them all forever, but until I trip over a suitcase full of cash somewhere, my "day job" is what keeps things flowing smoothly when times get tough. Godd Luck and I wish you the BEST!
toddhoeffel is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2012, 09:17 AM   #11
 
  May 2010
  Kinmundy Illinois
I would think if you want to get started and not invest a lot of money start out with 5 or 6 doe's. I would wait till winter or early spring and buy doe's that have been live covered or ai'ed to some good buck's. I do not think you have to spend a lot to get a good doe, to be honest my best producing doe is the cheapest doe that I have. I would look for big frame genetic's, even if you want to raise big nasty inch's I would start with doe's from big wide frame's with good beam and tine length, add the trash later. There is plenty of good semen for sale every week on WTE and if you watch you can find some great straw's there for a real good price. If you plan to buy doe's from a farm go visit as many as you can, look at there worst buck's on the farm. Everyone will show you there best but pay attention to all of them and look at the average of that farm. And do not shy away from older doe's if they have produced well in the past. I would prefer a 6 year old proven doe to a yearling that is a gamble. And one last thing, I would use buck's that produce big at an early age. I do think you will need to sell nice framed stocker buck's that are in or around the 200-250 inch range at 2 or 3 year's old to make any money. If you have a doe and she just cant produce good enough to at least break even put her in the freezer.
RLAwhitetails is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2012, 09:48 AM   #12
 
  Nov 2011
  Warriors Mark, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLAwhitetails
And one last thing, I would use buck's that produce big at an early age. I do think you will need to sell nice framed stocker buck's that are in or around the 200-250 inch range at 2 or 3 year's old to make any money. If you have a doe and she just cant produce good enough to at least break even put her in the freezer.
There is so much importance in these statements it is crazy! Making money in the deer "business" includes many factors, but these truths are SO important in the present market conditions.
Jeff23 is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2012, 12:10 PM   #13
 IndependenceRanch's Avatar
 
  Apr 2009
  Edgar, WI

Cervid: deer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLAwhitetails
I would think if you want to get started and not invest a lot of money start out with 5 or 6 doe's. I would wait till winter or early spring and buy doe's that have been live covered or ai'ed to some good buck's. I do not think you have to spend a lot to get a good doe, to be honest my best producing doe is the cheapest doe that I have. I would look for big frame genetic's, even if you want to raise big nasty inch's I would start with doe's from big wide frame's with good beam and tine length, add the trash later. There is plenty of good semen for sale every week on WTE and if you watch you can find some great straw's there for a real good price. If you plan to buy doe's from a farm go visit as many as you can, look at there worst buck's on the farm. Everyone will show you there best but pay attention to all of them and look at the average of that farm. And do not shy away from older doe's if they have produced well in the past. I would prefer a 6 year old proven doe to a yearling that is a gamble. And one last thing, I would use buck's that produce big at an early age. I do think you will need to sell nice framed stocker buck's that are in or around the 200-250 inch range at 2 or 3 year's old to make any money. If you have a doe and she just cant produce good enough to at least break even put her in the freezer.


Super advice and great points, very well done!



I will just add don't be to quick to get deer from those getting out of the business because if they couldn't make money with the does they had maybe it WAS the does they had that were the problem. Not always the case, but definitely something to consider in the process of buying.
IndependenceRanch is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2012, 03:39 PM   #14
 
  Jul 2010
  Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLAwhitetails
I would think if you want to get started and not invest a lot of money start out with 5 or 6 doe's. I would wait till winter or early spring and buy doe's that have been live covered or ai'ed to some good buck's. I do not think you have to spend a lot to get a good doe, to be honest my best producing doe is the cheapest doe that I have. I would look for big frame genetic's, even if you want to raise big nasty inch's I would start with doe's from big wide frame's with good beam and tine length, add the trash later. There is plenty of good semen for sale every week on WTE and if you watch you can find some great straw's there for a real good price. If you plan to buy doe's from a farm go visit as many as you can, look at there worst buck's on the farm. Everyone will show you there best but pay attention to all of them and look at the average of that farm. And do not shy away from older doe's if they have produced well in the past. I would prefer a 6 year old proven doe to a yearling that is a gamble. And one last thing, I would use buck's that produce big at an early age. I do think you will need to sell nice framed stocker buck's that are in or around the 200-250 inch range at 2 or 3 year's old to make any money. If you have a doe and she just cant produce good enough to at least break even put her in the freezer.






Great advice

I wish I would have started that way.
IowaMike is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2012, 04:24 PM   #15
 
  May 2010
  nj
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwhitetails
Actually if your looking for an income from your farm I would crop farm.......as far as starting out Bossbuck the best thing you can do is go visits with as many deer farms as you can.....big and small and that will be more valuable than any info we can conjure up on here..........deer prices are all over the board right now........there are a lot of deer farmers selling out and their are good deals to be had.....as far as pricing it is hard to say. I guess it all depends on the deal you can find.....for good genetics you can spen anywhere from 1000 to 10,000 ........and that is the truth......then their are some out their pretty much giving their deer away as they are desperate to get out of the farming........right now feed prices are at their highest and deer prices are at their lowest....not a good combo.......plus they are throwing more regulations that we must follow that will also not only be very inconvenient but costly as well......I can't express enough that the best thing for you to do is visit farms! I love raising the Whitetails but our government is doing it's best to ruin that.......just my opinion.....


take it slow, you dont have to spend a lot to get started , one of the great things iv done , have not made a dime yet , but love every white tail iv had / have their awsome
crocket is offline  
Reply

  Deer Farmer > Deer Farming Forum > Deer Farm Management

Tags
industry, question



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you think our industry needs!!!!!!!!! ddwhitetails Cervid Industry 147 Jun 18th 2015 09:10 AM
Thank You to the ACA Industry Supporters! Travis Cervid Industry 0 Mar 9th 2013 06:36 PM
Industry Blessings ChasingCreation Cervid Community 6 Dec 7th 2011 09:27 AM
Starting out in the industry MarkR Cervid Community 6 May 18th 2010 11:24 AM
I'm new to the industry alabowhunter Deer Breeding 11 Aug 13th 2009 05:25 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed