Deer Farmer

Go Back   Deer Farmer > Deer Farming Forum > Deer Health

Deer Health Deer Health and Wellness Forum - disease prevention, identification, management, control and treatments, general animal wellness strategies and issues, etc.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old Aug 25th 2009, 07:20 PM   #1
 
  Apr 2009
One of our one year old bucks was laying down tonight, kinda didn't think much of it then realized he wasn't coming over to us which is not normal when its snack time... anyway... approached him and he couldn't get up and when we gave him a good nudge, he actually rolled over on the other side... we gave him a moment, then another nudge and got him to his feet. He is very uneasy on his feet... got him walking around a bit and he ate a carrot... seemed kinda lethargic, his body felt cool, cooler than it should be, even his antlers felt cool which usually seem so warm. Also, he lost his summer coat two weeks ago, which we thought was very strange... he's almost completely in his thick coat already. So we stayed with him... he drank some water, and then had a real nasty loose movement and then urinated. He walked away slowly. He looks very sad. We did give him about 2cc of antibiotic. Any suggestions???
SnyderDeer is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2009, 07:45 PM   #2
 
  May 2009
If you are from a EHD /Blue tongue state. Thats what it sounds like. If you can get Draxxin in him do it 5 or 6 cc.
Tim Condict is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2009, 07:49 PM   #3
 PaintedMeadowsBJs's Avatar
 
  Apr 2009
  PA

Cervid: Deer
Where are you located? I have several deer all shed out. Can you take his temperature.
PaintedMeadowsBJs is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2009, 07:52 PM   #4
 
  Jul 2009
I wouldnt worry about his coat its normal for the deer to start putting there winter coat already. But yeah that sounds like possible EHD/Bluetongue to me if he's walking soft and showing signs of being sore.
J 5 Ranch is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 03:00 AM   #5
 
  Apr 2009
We're in PA... going over to check on him now... I am going to try getting the Draxxin today. Thank you so much for the advice. Thanks again... I will update later today... just praying he's okay this morning.
SnyderDeer is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 04:12 PM   #6
 
  Apr 2009
went to tractor supply looking for draxxin... where would I find it... they did not have it. he seems about the same tonight, mabye alittle better. I gave him another 2cc of the antibiotic for now.

what about the other bucks, do I need to seperate him? He's in with a 2 year old and his brother.

we're located about 2 hours northwest of Phila.



THANK AGAIN!!!!
SnyderDeer is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 04:36 PM   #7
 
  Mar 2009
  Blairstown, LA
DUH!!!!! You said he had a loose bowel movement. Did you collect a sample to do a fecal float? I wouldn't just jump on the EHD wagon without some more symptoms.
Scott Heinrich is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 05:00 PM   #8
 
  Apr 2009
Hmmm... I wasn't... but was going to have draxxin on hand... sorry if you thought i was a duh!! Just looking for advice, but I take all the info with a grain of salt.
SnyderDeer is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 05:57 PM   #9
 
  Mar 2009
  Blairstown, LA
I didn't mean anything demeaning by my comment, but sometimes we forget the basics when trying to diagnose problems.
Scott Heinrich is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 06:13 PM   #10
 
  Aug 2009
  Ohio
SnyderDeer - how is your buck doing this evening? I will be praying for him - good luck. I don't think Tractor Supply carries Draxxin - at least the one near me doesn't - I had to get it from my vet. Do you have a large animal vet that you can contact?



Gail
my2girls is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 07:24 PM   #11
 
  Apr 2009
  Fombell PA
Yeah Scott is right......We had an extremely cool summer in PA which usually means we should not have a threat of EHD .......now i know there is no guarantees but I think you really need to have the deers stool analized before you jump on the EHD diagnosis.......good Luck!!
ddwhitetails is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 08:08 PM   #12
 
  May 2009
Well he will be dead if you don't jump on the wagon very quick. Hey Snyder, guess what the best treatment would be for the loose stool. Oh yes, DRAXXIN. Guess what for pneumonia, DRAXXIN. Everybody acts like you can tell if you are going to have EHD/Blue Tongue by the weather. The only time the weather stops it is at about 28 degree's. The only factor cool weather assists with is keeping the stress level low on your deer. Low stress on deer helps with their immune system. You will have to get Draxxin from your vet. It is a miracle drug. By the way Snyder, it is very smart to give the shot and hope it isn't EHD/Bluetongue than to let the animal die while you are finding out what it is. The Draxxin will not hurt a thing.
Tim Condict is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 08:12 PM   #13
 
  May 2009
Oh and one other thing. Last time there was EHD/Bluetongue up there I helped some farmers save deer while everyone else was saying they don't get it in Pa.
Tim Condict is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 08:22 PM   #14
 
  Apr 2009
Synderdeer you can on get draxxin from your vet and is very expensive about $8 a cc.

I keep small bottle on hand for emergencies. I have had very good luck using la300 or tetradore in treated most things. I myself have not had as positive result with draxxin as everyone on here says it is miricle drug. My vet does not recommned because of high cost and he feels la300 or tetradore does just as good job at fraction of the cost. In my very limited use and my friends limited use we both found that to be true. I am only goingby what I have seen at my farm. I wouldtreat with draxxin and la300. Could be coccidia too with the loose stoole that is why you should tak to vet and get poop tested. I hope it is not ehd but this is time of year to start.
outdoorlover318 is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2009, 01:06 PM   #15
 
  Apr 2009
I spent some time on the phone today with the vet and others with deer... the draxxin was $340 a 50ml bottle... as of this afternoon, he seems to be stable and not getting any worse, I have decided to continue with the antibiotic shots for the next couple days and see what the outcome is. I am leaning toward a belly or intestinal issues, so just praying all 'comes out' in the end okay!!! He is the sweetest buck, and I do want to do what is best for him...

thank again folks...
SnyderDeer is offline  
Reply

  Deer Farmer > Deer Farming Forum > Deer Health

Tags
advice



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need advice jasons_taxidermy Deer Breeding 17 May 9th 2021 09:57 PM
some advice for myself and others Freedom Whitetails Cervid Community 8 Oct 7th 2014 02:27 PM
Need some advice on a doe I have rsander32 Deer Health 5 Jul 6th 2014 06:52 PM
Need some advice Freedom Whitetails Deer Health 2 May 7th 2013 09:59 AM
Need a little advice. roughcountrywhitetails Deer Health 8 Jun 18th 2009 06:23 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed