Deer Farmer

Go Back   Deer Farmer > Deer Farming Forum > Deer Health

Deer Health Deer Health and Wellness Forum - disease prevention, identification, management, control and treatments, general animal wellness strategies and issues, etc.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old Sep 7th 2012, 01:39 PM   #1
 
  Aug 2012
  Zanesville, Ohio
I have a 3 month old fawn that has recently abruptly stopped talking a bottle, at the same time she developed diarrhea and seems more lethargic than usual. She will eat some other foods and will drink water but not with the gusto she did a few days ago. Mostly will only take some fruit we offer her and what she grazes on. She is still peeing so I don't think she is dehydrated yet but I will be trying some iodine for the loose stool. A couple of weeks ago we would notice that her urine would turn an orange pink color about 45 minutes later. It was normal color when it came out but would change shade after time, I searched the forum and could not find any explanation. Regardless, it is not doing that anymore so its probably not related. We have a really strong attachment to this one so I really want to do everything I can for her. I am hoping that she just has some kind of bug giving her the runs but that does not explain the bottle. Is there something I can do to entice her into it again? Do they ever just get tired of a brand and just switching would help? What can I do to make sure she is getting the right nutrients while she is refusing it? If you can't tell we are pretty new to this, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
junior4343 is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 02:42 PM   #2
 
  Aug 2012
  Zanesville, Ohio
Ok, I have been reading a lot of old posts hoping I could find some answers and now I am totally freaked out about EHD with as dry as it has been in Ohio. Could some one please tell me if a dose of draxxin is something to think about right now. I don't see any swelling around face or redness, as I sit here next to her though I am hearing some seriously over active bowel sounds, does that just point to more of a gastro issue. Thanks again to anyone who can help out a newbie.
junior4343 is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 03:24 PM   #3
 
  Apr 2009
  Fombell PA
Are you a deer farmer? Or is this a wild fawn you are trying to save? If the latter I suggest you find a rehabber in your state and take the fawn there.
ddwhitetails is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 05:21 PM   #4
 
  May 2010
  nj
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwhitetails
Are you a deer farmer? Or is this a wild fawn you are trying to save? If the latter I suggest you find a rehabber in your state and take the fawn there.


well what ever the fawn is ? what if i have one ? just asking for your help . who cares ? just help DD YOUR A BETTER PERSON , just give your 2 cents , A WHITE TAILS A WHITE TAIL ,
crocket is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 05:57 PM   #5
 
  Jul 2012
  North Louisiana
i have had this happen to 2 of my fawns. I used 5 cc's of c&d antitoxin and 2 cc's of b12 complex. It worked both times i used this method of treatment. For the diarrhea, we use 2 tablespoons of 100% pumkin (found at your local grocery store). If that doesnt clear it up, we have used the iodine treatment, that is a last resort.

I dont like to give fruit either because it will give diarrhea.

Don't forget to replace the good bacteria with dannon yogurt or probias.

Good Luck!
W. Whitetails is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 06:06 PM   #6
 
  May 2010
  nj
Quote:
Originally Posted by w. Whitetails
i have had this happen to my fawns.i used c&d and b12 complex.


thanks whats c&d ?
crocket is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 06:20 PM   #7
 
  Apr 2009
  Fombell PA
Crocket you are wrong......there are legal Whitetails and illegal Whitetails......I will not help someone brake the law......that is my 2 cents......if their not braking any laws I would be happy to help......otherwise I think I gave them good sound advice with the rehabber idea.....
ddwhitetails is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 06:38 PM   #8
 
  Jul 2012
  North Louisiana
Clostridium Perfringens Types C & D, available at your vet or online. Really cheap.
W. Whitetails is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 06:40 PM   #9
 Four Seasons Whitetails's Avatar
 
  Oct 2009
  upstate ny

Cervid: Whitetail Deer
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior4343
I have a 3 month old fawn that has recently abruptly stopped talking a bottle, at the same time she developed diarrhea and seems more lethargic than usual. She will eat some other foods and will drink water but not with the gusto she did a few days ago. Mostly will only take some fruit we offer her and what she grazes on. She is still peeing so I don't think she is dehydrated yet but I will be trying some iodine for the loose stool. A couple of weeks ago we would notice that her urine would turn an orange pink color about 45 minutes later. It was normal color when it came out but would change shade after time, I searched the forum and could not find any explanation. Regardless, it is not doing that anymore so its probably not related. We have a really strong attachment to this one so I really want to do everything I can for her. I am hoping that she just has some kind of bug giving her the runs but that does not explain the bottle. Is there something I can do to entice her into it again? Do they ever just get tired of a brand and just switching would help? What can I do to make sure she is getting the right nutrients while she is refusing it? If you can't tell we are pretty new to this, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.


Get rid of the fruit..For now. Have you changed her diet at all..like added more corn or started her on a new pen with alfalfa or clover? 3 months old she very well could take herself off the bottle. Next time you are out with her try to give her some gatorade or pedialytein the bottle. If you have some yogurt let her lick some off a spoon or out of the container. They will get loose at times,Very easy. Sometimes just a weed she ate.



Dennis the animal comes first in my book, Then they should do the right thing if they dont have a permit!!!
Four Seasons Whitetails is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 06:42 PM   #10
 
  May 2010
  nj
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwhitetails
Crocket you are wrong......there are legal Whitetails and illegal Whitetails......I will not help someone brake the law......that is my 2 cents......if their not braking any laws I would be happy to help......otherwise I think I gave them good sound advice with the rehabber idea.....


k, fair- nuff i my self would help ANYONE who wants to help a white tail
crocket is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 07:07 PM   #11
 
  Aug 2012
  Zanesville, Ohio
I have given some pumpkin now and she has drank quite a bit of electrolytes. I have gotten some probiotics into her but I know she should have some more. I know better than to keep giving her any fruit but it was the only thing she would eat for about a day but I will make sure she doesn't have anymore, just waiting now to see if she has changes with her movements. No real changes in her diet, she had recently gotten into a part of the barn that she should not have been able to and she got into our dogs food, but I didn't think it was a real big deal at the time. She is behaving better now, little bit more energy, but the bowel sounds are like none I have ever heard, and non stop, but no bloating that I can see. Didn't mean to start a philosophical argument here, but just so you know, she is completely legal, just the first one that went cold turkey on a bottle like that and with everything else it got me worrying. I really appreciate everyone who responded. Your lifesavers.
junior4343 is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 07:11 PM   #12
 
  Aug 2012
  Zanesville, Ohio
Oh, and I will be trying the c&d and the b12 tomorrow, thanks for the tip.
junior4343 is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 07:24 PM   #13
 
  Apr 2009
  Fombell PA
Junior........if you have a vet that you use I would have her stool sampled right away......it could be coccidia.......is there any blood in the stool.....is it dark.....I would get as many electrolytes in the fawn as you can......keep her off the milk for a day and give only electrolytes......also give her probiotics to help get her system back on track....good luck....the milk could be making her belly sour......that's why it's good to just give the electrolytes.....
ddwhitetails is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 07:31 PM   #14
 
  Aug 2012
  Zanesville, Ohio
No worry about her having any milk, she won't even look at a bottle right now, should I limit her food intake as well do you think? She has kind of been acting like she might throw up and she keeps stretching her neck out when she lays down instead of folded up as usual. Stool is dark but I would not say darker than usual, just very loose. I will definitely be taking a sample to the vet. Thanks again
junior4343 is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 03:06 AM   #15
 Four Seasons Whitetails's Avatar
 
  Oct 2009
  upstate ny

Cervid: Whitetail Deer
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior4343
No worry about her having any milk, she won't even look at a bottle right now, should I limit her food intake as well do you think? She has kind of been acting like she might throw up and she keeps stretching her neck out when she lays down instead of folded up as usual. Stool is dark but I would not say darker than usual, just very loose. I will definitely be taking a sample to the vet. Thanks again


I would take her off any corn if she has been getting any. Corn is Hot in their belly and to much will make them loose. She already has an issue so it will help some to keep her off it. Sounds to me that she got into the dog fod or something in that barn that twisted her belly up and made her sick. Keep fluids in her with probotics and get a sample checked just in case. Its all about the belly...A happy belly= A healthy Deer!!! Good Luck!!
Four Seasons Whitetails is offline  
Reply

  Deer Farmer > Deer Farming Forum > Deer Health

Tags
bottle, diarrhea, stopped, talking



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doe with Bad Diarrhea!!!!!!! Deer Dee Deer Health 2 Sep 10th 2012 05:41 PM
Fawn stopped eating? Wicked Whitetails Deer Health 9 Aug 5th 2011 01:55 PM
Doe with diarrhea JEJ7 Deer Health 6 May 14th 2011 05:37 PM
Antlers stopped growing? Pasture Prime Deer Health 11 May 3rd 2010 03:41 AM
Severe Diarrhea jnhiggins Deer Health 12 Oct 20th 2009 01:18 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed