Deer Farmer

Go Back   Deer Farmer > Deer Farming Forum > Deer Health

Deer Health Deer Health and Wellness Forum - disease prevention, identification, management, control and treatments, general animal wellness strategies and issues, etc.


Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 2 Post By IndependenceRanch
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old Feb 23rd 2017, 07:04 AM   #1
 
  Aug 2014
  Montgomery, AL
When do healthy deer look their best?

Question for you experienced guys. Been deer farming for a few years now and as I understand it, the body condition of a deer will go through a sort of cycle. Rut/winter will bring them down in body weight, but summer and early fall they look healthy and fat. Does this match with most everybody else. I always worry some when i see them post rut.

Question rephrased: When do your deer look their best and when do they look "not their best"?

Thanks so much.
T-Hat is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 01:40 PM   #2
 R&J Whitetails's Avatar
 
  Jan 2013
  Cando, ND
What are you feeding? I fed mine a homemade pellet and they didn't do very good going into winter. I then switch my feed to ADM and you could almost watch them put weight on. Now I think they look good 90% of the time. The other 10% is from the fawns sucking them down for a few weeks. The bucks always look good now after switching feed. When are yours not looking so good?
R&J Whitetails is online now  
Old Feb 24th 2017, 06:47 AM   #3
 
  Aug 2014
  Montgomery, AL
They seem not as "robust" coming out of winter.

Switched to Record Rack feed several months back. The do seem a bit picky about it. Not eating it quite as well. That's why I wonder if it is they backed off the feed because of preference or if its just the seasonal low for them.
T-Hat is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2017, 03:46 PM   #4
 
  Jun 2014
  Jefferson, NY
Hi T-Hat,
I feed Record Rack Textured Breeder and I see the same thing as your seeing. Sometimes they seem to eat like crazy then other times not so much. Good Lord the textured breeder smells so good I want to eat it!!!! LOL!!! I have a buddy who mixes his own feed and says the samething that his deer also cut back..
speeny is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2017, 07:41 PM   #5
 R&J Whitetails's Avatar
 
  Jan 2013
  Cando, ND
This is a low time of the year for feeding. Wait till a few weeks before the first freeze and you won't be able to fill the feeders fast enough lol.
R&J Whitetails is online now  
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 09:11 PM   #6
 Padencreek's Avatar
 
  May 2011
  Linesville, PA
They eat about half right now during the winter. That is normal.
Padencreek is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:07 PM   #7
 IndependenceRanch's Avatar
 
  Apr 2009
  Edgar, WI

Cervid: deer
Do not judge your deer by looking at the bucks. Monitor the girls. That will give you the better perspective of how the herd is doing overall. If you can touch your deer, feel their chest area and their ham areas. Also the back towards the rear of the doe.
Thanks from speeny and T-Hat
IndependenceRanch is online now  
Old Mar 10th 2017, 05:25 AM   #8
 
  Mar 2017
  Minnesota
Anyone have trouble with doe fighting with there hooves?
Rubyridge is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2017, 07:14 PM   #9
 R&J Whitetails's Avatar
 
  Jan 2013
  Cando, ND
I must have a problem with some of mine. Ran them through fri for tb testing and quite a few had lots of hair missing. A few fawns had the whole side missing hair.
R&J Whitetails is online now  
Reply

  Deer Farmer > Deer Farming Forum > Deer Health

Tags
deer, healthiest, healthy, thier, worst



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deer hunter ticketed for moving deer from a preserve G O Whitetails Cervid Industry 3 Dec 8th 2014 06:29 PM
HELP Healthy fawn is loosing its ability to stand and use its legs Wisdom Deer Health 10 Jun 28th 2010 06:33 AM
Most Healthy Vegetation Possible? T.R.O. Deer Health 12 Apr 10th 2009 06:16 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed