- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 ounces slab bacon, finely chopped
- 2 16-ounce cans of tomatoes, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup dry red wine
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 box Fettuccine noodles
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until hot.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are translucent.
- Increase the heat and add venison, beef, and bacon, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of salt to the water.
- Add Fettuccine to the water for about 12 minutes or until al dente.
- Add heavy cream and nutmeg to the sauce. Simmer about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat, and let cool.
When the pasta is cooked, drain and place the noodles on 4 to 5 plates.
Top the pasta with the sauce.
Divide the Parmesan cheese among the plates and serve.